Confucius Institute Scholarship at HNU
1. A Brief Introduction of Hunan Normal University
1) Why HNU?
Hunan Normal University (HNU) is the largest and best provincial university in Hunan. It has been a national "211 Project" university since 1996, meaning it is a priority recipient of national funds, making it one of China's key 100 universities.
We offer a comprehensive undergraduate and postgraduate program. The undergraduate and postgraduate courses of HNU cover 11 fields: philosophy, economics, science of law, pedagogy, literature, history science, physics, engineering, agriculture, medical science and management science.
HNU is led by over 1,600 faculty members with broad overseas experience and sharp academic backgrounds working with elite institutions such as Harvard and Yale.
It is a globally well-connected university. HNU has established relationships with 100 universities and institutions in more than 30 countries and regions. HNU is a friend with many famous universities including Kazan (Volga Region) Federal University in Russia, University of California Riverside in the United States, Laval University in Canada, and Dresden University in Germany.
2) An Overview of HNU
Founded in 1938, HNU is Located in the provincial capital of Changsha, a critical hub of politics which has produced Chinese leaders such as Chairman Mao Zedong and former Premier Zhu Rongji. Over one-third of Hunan Province's leaders graduated from HNU.We also excel in a number of other academic and professional fields.
HNU consists of five campuses, occuping 1.68 million square meters. The main campus is surrounded by lush greenery, and is situated at the foot of Yuelu Mountain and is along Hunan Province's largest river, the Xiangjiang River.
After more than 70 years of development, HNU now has 24 colleges. The university has six 11th Five-Year national key disciplines, 14postdoctoral scientific research institutes, 110 doctoral programs, 184 master degree programs, 14 key discipline master degree programs and 78 bachelors degree programs.
The library of the University has the largest collection of 3.3 million books among the universities and colleges in Hunan Province.
Currently, over 36,000 undergraduates and postgraduates are studying on campus, including over 1,000 overseas students from 45 countries, working with our faculty to forge their careers in today's most important fields.
2. Confucius Institute Scholarship:
This scholarship pays full tuition, accommodation fee, medical insurance fee, and provides living allowance 1,400- 1,900 Yuan (215-290 USD) per month to the winner of this scholarship.
Applicants shall apply to Chinese diplomatic missions or Confucius Institutes in theirs own countries between January and April every year.
Applicants can apply to study as a Senior scholar, General scholar, Chinese language students, or they may pursue their Bachelor's degree, Master's degree and Doctoral degree students.
For more detailed application information, please go to the website of Hanban:
3. Majors for students to apply
1) Four weeks Language students,
2) One semester Language students,
3) One year Language students,
4) Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages （two years）,
5) Bachelor of Chinese Language, Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Pedagogy （four years）,
6) Master of Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Pedagogy （three years）,
7) Doctor of Chinese Language and Literature, Chinese History, Pedagogy （three years）.
4. Conditions for enrolling
1) Chinese Language proficiency is not asked for Applicant as four weeks, one semester and one year Language student.
2) Applicant for a Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages is required a bachelor educational background of the relevant major such as literature, history or pedagogy, and a new HSK-3 level.
3) Applicant for a bachelor degree of Chinese Language, Chinese Language and Culture, Chinese History, Pedagogy is required a high school diploma or equivalent education background and a new HSK-3 level.
4) Applicant for a master degree of Chinese Language and Culture, Chinese History, Pedagogy are required a bachelor degree and a new HSK-6 level.
5) Applicant for a doctor degree of Chinese Language and Culture, Chinese History, Pedagogy is required a bachelor degree and a new HSK-6 level.
5. Admission Time
Hunan Normal University enrolls language students in spring and autumn.
For Undergraduate students, only autumn semester is the admission time.
For master and doctor students, both spring and autumn semesters are admission time.
A new spring semester begins at the beginning of March. In autumn semester, classes begin in early September.
The spring term of 2012 will start on February 13 and the beginning of the autumn term will be August 27.
6. Numbers of Admission
1) Four week language student: unlimited
2) One semester language student: unlimited
3) One year language student: unlimited
4) Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (two years): 20 students /one semester
5) Chinese Language bachelor degree (four years): 20 students /one year
6) Bachelors of Chinese language and Literature, Chinese History, Pedagogy (four years): 10 students of each major
7) Bachelors of Chinese language and Literature, Chinese History, Pedagogy (four years): 5 students of each major
8) Bachelors of Chinese language and Literature, Chinese History, Pedagogy (four years): 3 students of each major Confucius Institute Scholarship is provided by Hanban, the Confucius Institute headquarter, is mean to encourage foreign students to come to China to study Chinese language and cultures. In 2009, Hunan Normal University was authorized to accept Confucius Institute Scholarship students, and since then, HNU has accepted more than 100 long-term and short-term Confucius Institute Scholarship Students. After over seventy years since its founding, alumni include numerous eminent scientists and Olympic athletes; including Xia Jiahui, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering and a famous expert in the field of anthropology and medical genetics. Another is Yangxia, the Olympic female weightlifting champion, and Yang Wenjun, the Olympic Kayak champion.