Changsha Ecological Zoo
Changsha Ecological Zoo is located in the Muyun Town of Changsha county, in the center of Changsha-Zhuzhou-Xiangtan pilot zone for resource-saving and environment-friendly society construction. It is close to the Furong South Road and the beltway, and adjacent to one stop of the Changsha-Zhuzhou–Xiangtan intercity railway which is now under construction. It only takes 30 minutes to drive from the downtown of three cities to the zoo.
Changsha Ecological Zoo was opened to the public in Oct. 2010. It was built based on the former Changsha Zoo which has existed for 54 years. It now has an area of 1,500 mu (1 million square meters) and was designed by famous designers from China and Japan. Following the design of world known zoos, the Changsha Ecological Zoo consists of walking area, stocking of wild area, science education area, natural scenic area, leisure area, tourist service area, 37 cage zones and domestication field with more than 5,000 birds and animals of about 300 species.
Changsha Ecological Zoo is the only unit in Hunan province authorized by Chinese Forestry Bureau and Agricultural department which can keep first and second class of wild animals. Changsha Municipal Committee and Changsha government paid a lot of attention and support to the zoo when it was under construction.
Its building concept, species of animals and operation methods rank top in China, becoming the best choice for visitors and the largest science education base for middle and primary students in the province.
A polar park, the largest of its kind in Hunan, opened in the Changsha Ecological Zoo on August 18, 2020.
The new polar park, built and operated by a private company, covers a floor area of nearly 6,800 square meters and has two exhibition areas on the first floor, showcasing polar animals and ice sculptures respectively.
The park currently has 16 penguins, five sea lions, eight Arctic wolves, and 20 sharks, as well as four polar bear specimens from Canada. Visitors can also watch jellyfish, sea turtles, and other marine life by strolling along a 22-meter-long "undersea tunnel" at the basement level of the park.
Add.: No. 729, Fourth Section, Furong South Road, Tianxin District, Changsha
Service hotline: 0731-85476906
Opening hours: Monday-Sunday (9:00-17:30); statutory holidays (9:00-18:00)
1. Ticket for walking area or vehicle area: 42 yuan/person (postcard-style ticket); 40 yuan/person (ordinary ticket)
2. Ticket for both walking area and vehicle area: 77 yuan/person (postcard-style ticket); 75 yuan/person (ordinary ticket)
3. Ticket for walking area, vehicle area, elephant performances, theater, and sightseeing buses at walking area: 120 yuan/person
How to get there:
1. Take Changsha-Zhuzhou-Xiangtan Intercity Railway and get off at Furong South Station;
2. Take Bus No. 125, 27, 212, 134, 289, or 209 and get off at Changsha Ecological Zoo Station; or,
3. Take Metro Line 1 and get off at Shangshuangtang Station, then transfer to Bus No. 125, 27, 208, or 289 and get off at Changsha Ecological Zoo Station.
Note: During the epidemic period, visitors are required to show valid identity documents and health codes, and wear a mask when visiting.
Chinese source: changsha.gov.cn; official Wechat account of Changsha Ecological Zoo; hunan.voc.com.cn
Photo source: changsha.gov.cn; hunan.voc.com.cn
- National Day Themed Sports Meeting Held in Changsha
- Centralized Commencement and Completion Activities of Major Projects Kick off in Changsha
- Changsha-Zhuzhou-Xiangtan National Independent Innovation Demonstration Zone Achievement Exhibition Opens
- China’s Largest Homemade Tunnel Boring Machine Rolls off Production line