Guidance for foreigners to have S2 visa (private affair) extension and renewal
Foreigners visiting family members staying in Changsha for work or study reasons (including spouse, parents, spouse’s parents, children, brothers and sisters, paternal grandparents, maternal grandparents, paternal grandchildren or maternal grandchildren, and children’s spouse).
(1) Fill in the Foreigner Visa Certificate Application Form with black ink, paste a recent two-inch full-faced and hat-free photo with white background; signature by applicant or by commissioned agent;
(2) Applicant’s valid passport or other international travel documents (basic information, valid visa and entry pages);
(3) Official letter from company where their family members work or school they attend;
(4) Family member relationship or kinship certificate, including marriage, birth, adoption and other kinship certificates issued by the relevant State departments, as well as family member relationship proof or relevant notarization issued by foreign embassy in China. The other kinship proof must be notarized. Proof issued by foreign competent or notary department abroad should be authenticated by the Chinese embassy or consulate in foreign country;
(5) Family member’s valid passport or other international travel documents (basic information, valid visa and entry pages);
(6) ID card (state contact information on ID card photocopy) of foreign affairs personnel from company at which foreigner’s family members work or school they attend;
(7) Foreigners staying for other private or humanitarian reasons need to submit relevant proof. Foreigners receiving medical aid and services should submit hospital or medical service proof from medical institute at the county level or above. Accompanying personnel must be applicant’s family member, and kinship and hospital proofs are required;
(8) Temporary Accommodation Information Registration Form and its photocopy at local police station or hotels in network with exit and entry management department;
(9) Other materials the public security organ thinks it might be necessary to submit.
Matters needing attention
(1) Applicant must take a face-to-face interview. Those who are under 16 or more than 60 years old, or have trouble moving around because of illness, can ask a third party to make the application. The applicant has to take a face-to-face interview if they are notified by the exit and entry administration department to do so;
(2) The S2 visa extension is only effective for the entry in question, with no effect on the number of entries and validity on the original visa, and the accumulative extension should not exceed the duration of stay as stated on the visa. Non-S2 visa expires when S2 visa is issued. Time limit for S2 visa approval depends on applicant’s status, but normally won’t go beyond 180 days;
(3) Original application materials are needed for checking and their photocopies will be put on file (A4 paper), except application form and official letter;
(4) Foreign language application materials shall be translated into Chinese word-for-word by qualified translation company and be stamped with its seal before being submitted;
(5) Foreigner should annul their Chinese household registration before filing an application, and offer annulment proof to local police station if necessary.
(1) The Exit-Entry Administration Law’s 29 clause stipulates that foreigners who need to extend their duration of stay should file an application to local public security’s exit and entry administration department at or above county level seven days before their visa expires;
(2) Unit issuing official letter should be held accountable for the verity of the letter content;
(3) Applicant and individual or unit issuing invitation letter and certificates shall cooperate with public security organ’s exit and entry administration in interview, telephone inquiry, and on-the-spot investigation.
(4) Exit and entry management institute’s decision on foreign visa extension, renewal, replacement is definitive.
(5) Visa agencies can reserve the right not to explain the reasons for visa denial.
Working hours and location:
Working hours: Monday-Friday (except holidays)
Address: No 2 Fenglinyi Road, Yingwan town, Changsha city (4th floor, Hexi Traffic Police Building’s Skirt Building)
Time limit for getting the certificate: Seven working days if all materials are in place, excluding time for investigation.
Tel: 0731-82587623; 0731-82587653
Changsha Public Security Bureau’s population and exit and entry management department is responsible for the interpretation of the notice and reserves the right to make changes.