Dragon Boat Festival Events 2020
The Duanwu Festival, also known as the Dragon Boat Festival, was established to commemorate Qu Yuan, a ministerial scholar and patriotic poet of the state of Chu during the Warring States period (475-221 BC).
The festival is celebrated on the fifth day of the fifth month according to the Chinese lunar calendar. It falls on June 25 (Thursday) this year. The three-day holiday will last from June 25 to 27.
It is a folk festival when Chinese people practice various customs thought to dispel disease, and invoke good health. Some of the most traditional customs include dragon boat racing, eating sticky rice dumplings (zongzi), hanging Chinese mugwort and calumus, drinking realgar wine, and wearing perfume pouches.
2020 Changsha Dragon Boat Festival Activities
1. 2020 Changsha Summer of Love · Dragon Boat Festival Activity
Duration: June 20-27
-Sujia Lane, Denglong Street, Baiguoyuan (time-honored brands and intangible cultural heritage exhibition, ancient streets tour)
-Location in front of the Baiguoyuan Historical and Cultural Wall (intangible cultural heritage performances)
Activities: Heritage brands exhibition; and, intangible cultural heritage exhibition and performances including: Hunan opera; Changsha Flower-drum opera; Changsha shadow puppet shows; Changsha Tanci (storytelling); Changsha allegro singing; Changsha folk singing; Changsha Guqin (Chinese zither), and traditional boxing and cudgel performances.
2. Hunan Museum--From Renaissance to Impressionism: 500 Years of European Painting
Duration: May 29-September 13
Venue: Special Exhibition Hall 2, 1/F, Hunan Museum
Ticket: 50 yuan/person
Opening hours: 9:00-17:00 (last entry at 16:00)；closed Monday unless the Monday is a statutory holiday
Tips: During the epidemic, the Museum only allows online real-name reservations, with a daily quota of 2,000 people. Visitors are required to make a reservation in advance through the museum’s official website, APP or WeChat account. After the reservation is successful, visitors can enter the museum with a reservation text message, valid certificates, and a qualified health code.
3. Window on the World--Burning Man Festival
Activities: Lighting ceremony, parade, fireworks, acrobatics, song and dance performances, electronic music party, 100-meter-tall skywheel, merry-go-round, and gyro-swing.
Duration: May 29- June 27 (night tour: 18:00-22:00)
Address: No. 85, Sanyi Avenue, Kaifu District, Changsha
4. Changsha Museum--From the Mediterranean to China: Treasures Along the Silk Road -- Selections from the Hirayama Ikuo Silk Road Museum Collections
Duration: June 13-October 8
Venue: Changsha Museum
1. Ticket price for this exhibition: 68 yuan/person
2. Visitors can follow the WeChat official account of Changsha Museum (cssbwg) or log on its official website (http://www.csm.hn.cn) to make a reservation. They can also get tickets with valid certificates at the entrance of the Changsha Museum at the Changsha Binjiang Cultural Park.
3. Opening hours: 9:00-17:00 (last entry at 16:30); closed on Mondays unless the Monday is a statutory holiday
5. Tongguan Kiln Ancient Town-First Electric Music Festival
Duration: June 25-27
Address: No. 1, Tongguanyao Avenue, Wangcheng District, Changsha
Activities: Enjoy some beer at a transportable container bar, dragon boat races, bubble party, fireworks and light and water shows, and appreciating the musical The Lion King.
Opening hours: 9: 00-18: 00 (daytime); 16: 00-22: 00 (nighttime)
6. Changsha Fantawild Oriental Heritage Theme Park
Activities: Forty-five (45) high-quality amusement projects including roller-coaster ride and water rafting
Address: No. 1, Yuening Avenue, Changsha
Opening hours: 9:30-17:30 (weekdays); 9:00-18:00 (weekends and holidays); 9:00-21:00 (During Dragon Boat Festival); 16:00-21:00 (night tour)
1. Adult ticket (all-day): 288 yuan/person
2. Night tour ticket during the Dragon Boat Festival: 129 yuan/person
Tips: During the epidemic, all visitors are required to wear masks, show an ID card and a green QR health code, cooperate with temperature checks, and provide real-name registration and health registration before entering the park.
7. Shiyan Lake Scenic Area--Dragon Boat Festival Activities
Activities: Tasting zongzi (a pyramid-shaped dumpling made of glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo or reed leaves) with unique flavors, Dragon Boat Festival knowledge quiz, dragon boat races, and rafting.
Address: Shiyan Lake Scenic Area, Tiaoma Town, Yuhua District, Changsha
Opening hours: 8:30--17:00 (Monday-Sunday)
Tips: All visitors must wear masks. Before entering, they must have temperature checks and show their ID cards for real-name registration.
Chinese source: cs.bendibao.com
Photo source: cs.bendibao.com; official Wechat account of Shiyan Lake Scenic Area